Finally Works... But?

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Hi,

This is a great tool, but I´m sorry for the question. can I whit this app change the password for users, see that I can change name, e-mail, photo, etc, but don´t see the option for reset o change the password for a user.

thanks for you help.

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Hi,

Currently no, the system allows for password creation when setting up new user accounts however it does not provide an administrative interface to reset passwords for users.  Users however can login and change their passwords, but I'm assuming you mean that if a user has forgotten their password does the system allow an administrator to reset it for them.

Initially we did not implement this functionality simply due to the idea that an administrator would have access to the AD snap-ins to easily reset user's passwords.  If you have a different use case feel free to share it and we'll evaluate the change for the future.

Thanks,

Brent

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Hi Brent,

thanks for your help, yes I´m looking a tool that if a user has forgotten their password does the system allow to this same user to reset his password, without the help of an administrator.

In our organization we have the problem that the users forgot the password frecuently, and the support team spent a lot of time with this task. I don´t now if this feature can be useful for others, but maybe this feautere can be include in a new realese. is only a opinion.

thanks  again.

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Ah,

I know what you are looking for.  However, this is really hard to accomplish.  We don't want to provide an un-secure web interface where Joe Blow can request UseABC's password be reset without some sort of validation mechanism which really doesn't exist with AD.  The AD mindset is, see the administrator if you forget.  Maybe we could implement some sort of interface where users could send a message which in turn notifies the administrator(s) that a user needs help.  This might be useful if you use SSO for e-mail access and the user cannot access e-mail either.

We'll have to look into this more for a future release.  If anyone else has ideas or other similar situations feel free to let us know so we can judge need/wants.

Thanks,

Brent

Developer
Sep 17, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Some other tools have the ability to do this through a preconfigured AND used validation system similar to some web sites use. In essence all users would have to go and setup some security questions in advance that they would have to answer correctly before they could reset their password. The problem is getting people to use such a mechanism. However if they have forgotten their password, how are they going to get logged in to utilize their computer to reset the password? I have started to solve this issue through federated services where they use their AD username/password to log into everything, rather than have different passwords for each application or service. This has reduced the problem greatly. At one company I worked at, the people that a person managed could have their manager reset a password to a temporary password and is one possible use case. However as Brent mentioned, we would need an in depth discussion to ensure we maintain security of the installed AD.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I have tried configuring uManage but no success. It's stuck at Application Offline status. Could you please guide us step by step to implement successfully.