UmanageEntities Connection string

Feb 10, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I'm getting an error that

Keyword not supported: 'server'.

For the connection string:

name

="uManageEntities" connectionString="Server=adss ;Initial Catalog=uManage-CSR.PRESIDIUM.INC;User Id=SA;Password=XXXXXXXX;MultipleActiveResultSets=true;" providerName="System.Data.EntityClient"

what does this string need to be?

Sincerely,

Chad

Coordinator
Feb 10, 2011 at 8:49 PM

It appears you are using the new BETA release, is that correct?

If so it uses the Entity Framework and the connection string should look like this:

metadata=res://*/uManage.csdl|res://*/uManage.ssdl|res://*/uManage.msl;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string='Data Source=[YOUR SERVER NAME];Initial Catalog=[DATABASE NAME];User ID=[USER ID];Password=[PASSWORD];MultipleActiveResultSets=True'

Also I probably don’t have to point this out but using the SA username/password is very highly not recommended for security reasons, but I’m sure you are just testing.

If you are using the current stable release, there is no such thing as “SERVER=[MY SERVER]” in .NET SQL Connection strings, use “Data Source=[MY SERVER]” instead.

Brent

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:52 PM
Edited Feb 10, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Thanks! That got me around that problem, now I have this one that I cant seem to figure out.

The format of the spesified domain name is invalid.

<

add name="ADService" connectionString=LDAP://csr.presidium.inc

/>

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Not sure if you posted the domain name you are using. Post the AD connection string (minus username and password of course) as well as what version you are using.

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Sure thing,

I'm using the beta version, and here is the connection string

<

add name="ADService" connectionString="LDAP://csrdc01.csr.presidium.inc/DC=csr,DC=presidium,DC=inc" />

is that correct, now I get connnection to ldap server unavailable.

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2011 at 1:43 PM

No not quite.

It should just be something like LDAP://csr.presidium.inc

You don’t need to include the DC in the name and you don’t need the DN path either. Just the plain domain name.

Brent

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:48 PM

See thats what I thought, but evertime I do, I get the the format of the spesified domain is incorrect.

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Ok Finnally got it in here is what the string looks like,

"

LDAP://csr.presidium.inc/ " />

Now I get this jewl:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Unknown error (0x80005000)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Unknown error (0x80005000)

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Well that’s not good.

Just for kicks and giggles, try removing the forward slash at the end of the domain name. My connection string does not have it. Others are reporting the same problem if that does not fix it. I will have to take a look at it and possibly release a patch.

Brent

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Ok so I started over and switched to the stable release everything was looking good till this. I must suck at getting this up and running X_X

Current security context is not associated with an Active Directory domain or forest.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.ActiveDirectoryOperationException: Current security context is not associated with an Active Directory domain or forest.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ActiveDirectoryOperationException: Current security context is not associated with an Active Directory domain or forest.]
   System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.DirectoryContext.GetLoggedOnDomain() +852
   System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.DirectoryContext.IsContextValid(DirectoryContext context, DirectoryContextType contextType) +186
   System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.DirectoryContext.isDomain() +66
   System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain.GetDomain(DirectoryContext context) +98
   PPI.UMS.AD.PasswordExpires..ctor() +63
   PPI.UMS.AD.User.BuildUserFromPrincipal(UserPrincipal user) +551
   PPI.UMS.Web.Forms.Users.User_Info.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +108
   System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +25
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +71
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3048
Feb 11, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Nevermind folks finally got it working. But now I relise there is no way to make this work with users off my network :-( which is why I needed it in the first place.

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2011 at 7:36 PM

What do you mean by “off your network”?

Like remote workers?

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Yeah, what we are needing this for is if agents happen to forget their passwords they can reset them at remote sites, or if a password is required to change their password upon first login at a remote site then they can do it with this software. This software is well done, and if thats possible that would be great!

Coordinator
Feb 14, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Well,

If you allow the remote employees to access uManage over an HTTPS connection it should allow them to reset their password. Although they would have to already be logged in somewhere using their password in the first place. The bigger issue is that once the password is reset you would need a VPN or other link back to the domain controller to allow them to pick up on the new password.

It should work but like I said they would need to know their password to access the secure website in the first place and you need some type of VPN back to the office that starts when the computer loads. Check out DirectAccess from MSFT, its supposed to work pretty well with no 3rd Party VPN.

Brent