Beta?

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM

When will a non-Beta release be coming?

I am unable to implement this until it is out of beta.

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2011 at 5:14 PM

There is a stable non-beta release. It does not include all of the features that are in the beta but nonetheless is stable.

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I am unable to get that version to run on Windows 2008 with SQL 2008. I always end up with;

Parser Error Message: The connection name 'AppService' was not found in the applications configuration or the connection string is empty.

Source Error:

Line 77:         <clear />
Line 78:         <add connectionStringName="AppService" applicationName="uManage"
Line 79:           name="RoleProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider" />
Line 80:       </providers>
Line 81:     </roleManager>

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2011 at 7:12 PM

What does the connection string called AppService have in it? Is there a connection string even defined?

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:24 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM

When I use that version, the database user isn't created by the wizard, and the connection string looks like this;

<add name="AppService" connectionString="" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

I am pretty sure the wizard fails before it creates the database user or modifies the web.config file.

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Hmm,

That’s interesting. There are instructions on the site however that walk you through manually creating the database and connection string. Take a look at those, the process is pretty simple to run a SQL script or two. Let me know if you still have issues setting it up manually.

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Thanks for the assist. I manually created the database user, ran the SQL scripts and was able to connect.

Much appreciated!

Coordinator
Feb 10, 2011 at 12:51 AM

No problemo.

Glad that worked. I’m reevaluating the usefulness of the setup installer as it seems to cause too much confusion and doesn’t always work right. However, working incorrectly sometimes goes hand in hand with Active Directory! Any thoughts on how we can make it better?

Brent

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:24 PM

In this case, I am not sure if the Wizard is unable to modify the web.config file and then skipping the remaining steps. Perhaps just an error message saying the configuration was incomplete and at which step it failed would be better than appearing to have completed successfully. If the wizard were to say that it couldn't write to the web.config file, or whatever it was trying to do, troubleshooting steps could be taken at that point.

The newer version of the wizard works fine.

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:13 AM

this is a nice topic.