Error when clicking on Employees tab

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:34 AM

I've just installed the 1.2.1 beta to give this tool a test drive. It all looks great so far but I have a problem with the admin side of things. When I click on the Employees tab, I get the following error message

Server Error in '/uManage' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   PPI.UMS.BLL.Employees.GetAllEmployees() +164

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
   System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner) +0
   System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner) +152
   System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) +393
   System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) +38
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.ObjectDataSourceView.InvokeMethod(ObjectDataSourceMethod method, Boolean disposeInstance, Object& instance) +1284
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.ObjectDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) +1992
   System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback) +28
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect() +274
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.EnsureDataBound() +105
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.CreateChildControls() +183
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +182
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +60
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +222
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +4185

When I click on Add New Employee, I get a similar error message, with this call stack

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   PPI.UMS.BLL.Employees.GetAllEmployees() +164
   PPI.UMS.Web.Forms.Admin.Admin_AddUser.LoadFormDefaults() +194
   System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +24
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +70
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3047

Any ideas what is causing this?

Coordinator
Jan 21, 2011 at 4:09 PM

This typically indicates a problem getting an object from the directory.  I have been pretty busy and have not had the time to devote to cleaning up this project like I would want.  Hopefully we can get it resolved soon.

Sorry for the problems.

Brent

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:40 PM

This was down to the AdGroupName setting pointing at a non-existent group. It might be the setup creates the group but my setup fell over halfway through so I set it up manually.

But thanks for the great work. My boss thinks I'm a genius, even after I told him I didn't write it! 

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I have the same problem, but only the ADGroupName points to an existing group.

Tried different settings:

<add key="AdGroupName" value="VIM\uManage-Users" />

or

<add key="AdGroupName" value="uManage-Users" />

at the writing of this text i realized that I had a group nested... no good!

So it's resolved

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Hey, Brent! Don't sweat it so much. We're all adding to the knowledge base with this even if we're not quite to a prod ready app.

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:03 PM

My Config doesn't have this ADGroupName key in it. Where should I add it?

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:52 PM
GregChapman wrote:

My Config doesn't have this ADGroupName key in it. Where should I add it?

In the root web.config, where all the other DisplayShinyThing="True" variables are. I have no access to my web.config at the moment, else I would have pasted it...

Oct 31, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Ahhh, Okay. I see that and, unfortunately, it appears to be properly filled out. Darn!